Monday, October 7, 2013

English Post

(Apologies for the late post, I thought it had posted last week)

I actually ended up taking Japanese almost on accident. I originally was not going to take a language class this semester (I've already met the requirement), but one of my classes had cancelled and I needed to fill in the credits. I'm planning on majoring in East Asian Studies, so I can use Japanese as an elective.

In the last several years I've studied both Korean and Chinese, so I feel like, for me, learning Japanese is a logical progression that sort of rounds out what I already know. The grammar of Japanese is very similar to Korean, so the word order seems pretty normal to me. And knowing some Chinese will probably be helpful in mastering Kanji.

I've only visited Japan once, but I really enjoyed it. I was in Tokyo for a few days over the summer as a side trip to a three week long trip to South Korea, and because I knew absolutely no Japanese made getting around in Tokyo much more difficult than in Seoul. So I'm looking forward to being able to communicate in Japanese.

-Cory Fitz

6 comments:

  1. I think it is so cool that you've studied both Korean and Chinese!! And now you're taking on Japanese... that's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a challenge. But my concern is that I'll have too much breadth of learning and not enough depth. So I'll need to decide if I'm going to take Japanese II next year or advanced Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Japanese is a challenging language, but the rewards of learning and eventual practical application make it all the more worthwile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corey,
    あのかたの言語(げんご)のskillsはすてきです!What do you plan to do to make use of your language skills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to work somewhere in the orbit of government, like the State Department or a think tank.

      Delete
  5. I've also studied both Japanese and Chinese ( native in Korean). It's interesting to know those three interactive languages. かんこくで どこに いきましたか?

    ReplyDelete